Translate Jacob's birth recording

Täällä voi kysyä apua epäselvien tekstien tulkitsemiseen.
Katie

Translate Jacob's birth recording

Viesti Kirjoittaja Katie » 17.07.2011 02:02

http://www.sukuhistoria.fi/sshy/kirjat/ ... 121/16.htm

The first entry in the above link is the birth record for Jacob born 20 January 1823. I would appreciate it if you could translate it for me. I am in search of the names of Jacob's Mother and Father. I show his name as Jacob Vuopala. I have also found in other areas variations of his name as Jacob Wuopala and Jacob Ruona.
I do not think this entry is the Jacob I am looking for as I show my Jacob born on 11 Jan 1823 and I can not find a Jacob born/christened on that day anywhere in Lappi or Oulu.
Thank You
Janice

timotk

Re: Translate Jacob's birth recording

Viesti Kirjoittaja timotk » 17.07.2011 07:53

Translation:
Matts Koivuranda's and his wife Anna's son (Jacob)
Godparents
The undersigned Castrén,
carpenter Eric Jäskö, Ewa Luockinen,
Pehr Linnankiwi, Margareta Pawalniemi
(Baptized at) ?? by ?? Castrén

Presumably the age of the mother was in the left column.
The vicar of the parish during that period was: Kristian Castrén (period 1822-1825).

Your case may be resulting from the frequent change of names that occurred in Rovaniemi.
The name that appears as a surname was actually the name of the farm or location that the family lived in.
So "Koivuranda family" may well have moved from "Koivuranda" (literally "birch bank of river") to other places with resultant name changes.
A large river flows through Rovaniemi, so "Birch bank" leads to a reasonable guess that they lived by the river.
If you do not find another Jacob with the expected date stamp, probably this is the correct birth record with a correct date as well.
Date errors were frequent enough that you cannot exclude such occurrence either.
Rgds Timo

Katie

Viesti Kirjoittaja Katie » 18.07.2011 23:46

Thank You, Tim, for reviewing my request. I didn't think of the name changing when I found this record. I thought more in line of Jacob's birth entry not being entered or perhaps he was born someplace other than Lappi or Oulu. This could very well be my relative.
I appreciate you helping me with this. Have a nice week, enjoy the summer weather. I live in Northern Minnesota and like your area, our summers are very short and winters very long. Darn.....
Janice

kozzm0

Viesti Kirjoittaja kozzm0 » 04.10.2011 13:48

I happened to run across this googling "wuopala" and I have a hunch I know the Jacob Wuopala you're looking for.

The date of birth is off by about three years, but this Jacob Wuopala lived in Rovaniemi (at the Wuopala homestead) until the 1860's and then moved south to the Kemi area, and settled in a place called Ruonakoski.

Jacob Ehrsson Wuopala/Ruonakoski had a daughter, Erica Sophia Ruonakoski, who married a Carl Jacob Wääräkangas. After his death, she immigrated to Minnesota. Jacob Wuopala had other children, the ones I know of were named Elias Adolf and Maria Caisa.

If this sounds like the right Jacob Wuopala, I can give you more details. I've traced Jacob's paternal line back to the early 18th century.

Vastaa Viestiin