Pehr Kähkönen Communion book entry

Discussions about genealogy. Questions, searches, interesting links etc.
Katie

Pehr Kähkönen Communion book entry

Viesti Kirjoittaja Katie » 16.03.2018 02:39

http://www.sukuhistoria.fi/sshy/sivut_e ... 01&pnum=93
Above is a link to the family of Pehr Kähkönen. One of the children had a comment in their Hiski birth entry 'Slut'. I found the name translated to: " end - the part in the communion books reserved for non-farmers, non-crofters etc".
1.Can you expand on that meaning? Would he have a job?
2.What is the word above the family name? I can't make out the letters.
3. Entry made in the far right of Pehr's line has a wording written in also needs translation.
Thank You
Janice

tuulacu

Re: Pehr Kähkönen Communion book entry

Viesti Kirjoittaja tuulacu » 16.03.2018 07:37

1. Slut. You mean this:
Ristijärvi
Kastetut

Linkki tähän tapahtumaan [ 6853510 ]
Syntynyt / Kastettu 28.4.1850 2.6.1850
Kylä / Talo By slut
Isä Pehr Kähkönen
Äiti Elsa Tervonen 29
Lapsi Helena

- the place where the family is in the church books is "By slut" = village end. That is a "place" where people without a farm were.

2. Inhyseskarl - a man without farm, belonging to the group of Inhysingar

3. Lähtö ukr? 128 - have left for the ?page 128? (lähteä=to leave; lähtö=leaving)
- and there they are, on page 128, after Pehr's new wife Elin Rusanen

Tuula K

Katie

Viesti Kirjoittaja Katie » 16.03.2018 19:05

Thank you so much, so interesting. I never would have thought that the page notation would be a lead to someone else. Again I learned something new from phpBB. People who lived in these locations (not on the farm) were they employed in some other manner than farming, perhaps a tradesman in the village or a worker of some type in the village? Or would I consider that they were provided for by the church.
Janice

tuulacu

Viesti Kirjoittaja tuulacu » 17.03.2018 08:09

Inhysingar (in Finnish itsellinen, lois, löysä, populi) - that covers a wide range of people. Mostly it was people who earned their living by working in different farms. They may have lived on a piece of land on a farm and have a small house to live in. Some lived in the corners of a farmhouse.

They worked in various farming tasks but they were not hired on a regular base (like farmhands and maids - these were hired once a year in autumn and they had to stay and work on the farm that year), they had work when the farmers needed them. It may have been an old granny doing spinning for the farm, a man making hay but also a former farmer may have the markings of an inhysing when he had got older and given up the farm to the younger generation. Also a younger brother of a farmer could be inhysing, as the younger ones did not inherit the farm. Many variations, and also variations in different parts of the country.

They were free to leave but also free from the burden of owning...

Tuula K

Katie

Viesti Kirjoittaja Katie » 17.03.2018 20:06

Thank you Tuula, now that's interesting. I like to get bits and pieces of how people lived back then.
Thanks again and have a nice weekend.
Janice

Vastaa Viestiin